Monday, April 17, 2006

A friendly grouse


I led a walk yesterday from Fairholmes car park beside Ladybower Reservoir for the Derbyshire Dales group. We had five walkers out and a dog.

The walk I followed was one that I had walked on my 55th Birthday last August and which I had considered using in Drive and Stroll in Derbyshire and the Peak District. After climbing up towards Pike Low and realising that if the mist came down people could get lost I soon dumped the idea. Still, it is an excellent walk for people who know how to use a map.

There was an unusual incident on the walk as we encountered a very friendly Red Grouse. As you can see from the picture it came to within a few feet of us. It didn't appear to be trying to draw us away from its nest - it just appeared to want to be near us. It may be that it has been hand fed in the past.

Any theories anyone ?

No comments: