Monday, January 09, 2006

Off the beaten track


Some days I set off and it's damp, it's foggy, and I wonder what the heck am I doing out here. Then I find something which makes it all worthwhile - and so it was yesterday.

I was walking from Holmesfield, which is just south of Sheffield. I walked up the field in this picture towards this white metal gate which at the time was closed. It has hinges at both ends so I couldn't see [initially] how to open it. Obviously someone else had had the same problem as they had clambered over the gate, judging by the clod of mud on the top bar.

Then I realised that it splits diagonally so I opened it at one side and clambered over the other end of it which is lower.

If anyone wants to know exactly where it is then be in touch.

Well it fascinated me anyway.

There's an unusual [for these parts] stone step stile further down the fields too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting design. Does it need instructions for the average walker? G

Unknown said...

Not far off G. I literally had to stand back and try and fathom out how to undo it. I should think the people in the farm down the field must regularly see walkers mulling over how to negotiate it.

I have never, ever, seen one like it - then five minutes later I saw another. They obviously travel in pairs ....

Anonymous said...

MarcusJ Wrote:

But, why'd ya want a gate like that? The only thing I can think is that when it's half open it looks like one of those jumps for horses.

Unless it's a dreadful joke:

"You said you wanted it open half way!"

*Sound of shotgun being loaded*

Unknown said...

It's a gate that's designed to baffle walkers - and it did me for a minute [no more than that].

Perhaps someone will spot this picture one day and put us in the know. It's a pity you can't google a photograph ....

Anonymous said...

MarcusJ wrote:

It's for horse jumping - surely. What possible other reason could there be?

Unknown said...

Whilst it may be for horses I don't think it is in this spot or ever was.

It opens out onto a road and I wouldn't have thought the horses could get up enough speed to jump the gate. There's also a bit of a drop into the field.

Someone would have to make sure the gate was [half] open too.