Sunday, March 19, 2006

High Tor, Matlock


This is a view of High Tor, Matlock. I spent the first year or so of married life enjoying this view from a picture window in one of the houses shown at the bottom of the photograph. It was interesting to go back yesterday and walk some of the paths that I've not been on for a couple of years.

Firstly I wanted to see what had been done in Hall Leys Park, Matlock. It lies between the town and the River Derwent and has always been one of my favourite parks probably because it is so well known to me. I used to walk to work through the park beside the river for three or four years when I was in my late teens/early twenties. The money that has been spent there recently seems to be largely cosmetic though a skate board area has been built and seemed popular with 20 or 30 kids who were riding their bikes and skateboards as I passed by.

I then followed the river round to cross the A6 and climb up St. John's Road where I took the photograph shown.

Passing behind The Rocks I walked up through the fields to the top of Masson Hill where I had a coffee on Geoff's Seat. Geoff was Geoff Wildgoose [no relation] was a Matlock Solicitor who died in his 50s 15 years or so ago. It's a lovely view of Matlock from here.

Coming out on Salters Lane I followed the steep bridleway down the hillside to reach Snitterton [in Charlie's Blog there's a picture of the bullring there].

Then I followed the riverside path back into Matlock. As usual this path is spoilt by the amount of litter. We'll have to see if we can do something about it.

No comments: