Saturday, March 18, 2006

On North Lane, Belper


It seems unlikely that we're going to get any snow this weekend, which is a shame if you're walking.

Last weekend though I led a walk which started at Firestone Hill and followed ancient North Lane [pictured here]. It must be at least two thousand years old, probably much older, running as it does along the ridge above Belper.

Next Saturday, the 25th March 2006, I'm leading an eight to nine mile walk from Grassmoor Country Park near Chesterfield. We'll be visiting the ruin of Sutton Scarsdale Hall and following an unusual woodland path. If you're interested get in touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting Charlie.
I was thinking of going from Bolsover Castle via Sutton Scarsdale Hall to Hasland a bit north of your start.

I would be interested to know where the unusual woodland path is.
Are you going as far as Langwith wood?

I'm a lone walker personally.

Crozzy

Unknown said...

My walk this Saturday follows a path running down the eastern side of Sutton Springs Wood [which is just west of Sutton Scarsdale]. When I walked it last summer the sun was shining and it was lovely, passing by all the houses in the wood.

I'm not quite sure where Langwith Wood is.

I quite understand you being a solitary walker - there's a lot to be said for it. I thought I'd mention it though just in case you or anyone else reading this blog fancied coming along.

It's open to anyone - as long as they can walk 8 or 9 miles.